Re: Oracles as Issuers

Please help me draft a PR to the appropriate place [did-core?
did-use-cases? secure-data-store?] that describes the API for issuing a
verifiable credential such that:

The Issuer:
- *MAY* or *SHOULD* emit a VC via a standard API (e.g. a secure data store)
- the API protocol *MUST* support connection to both Holders or Verifiers
[DIDcomm and/or HTTPS, etc...]
- the API *MUST* be a policy enforcement point (PEP). (the issuer can run
their own PDP, if they choose)
- the authority respected by the PEP *MUST* be either the Issuer or the
Data Subject
- the authority is a policy decision point (PDP) operated on behalf of
*either* the Issuer or the Data Subject
- a requesting party *MUST* present their request to the PDP (not the PEP)
- that supports both self-authorized and subject-authorized requests *MUST*
offer separate APIs to reflect the separate PDPs.
- *SHOULD* notify the data subject when they receive or process an access
request via the self-authorized API

The main goal here is to encourage Issuers to behave as oracles and remove
the adoption barrier of having to have a Holder when all the data subject
needs is an authorization server because they don't care if the Issuer
knows about the Verifier.

Another goal is to simplify revocation in cases where the data subject
doesn't care if the Issuer knows about the Verifier.

Yet another goal is to protect the privacy of data subjects who would
prefer to process Verifier (as requesting party) access requests (scope,
purpose, credential) at a policy decision point (PDP) separate from the
Issuer (as PEP). The Verifier would then be given a capability to be
presented to the Issuer PEP.

We recognize that the requesting party (Verifier) has legitimate privacy
concerns of their own and may prefer to present their credentials to the
Issuer rather than the Holder. In these cases, the Issuer MAY offer a PDP
of their own and the data subject SHOULD be notified of the scope, purpose,
and identity of the requesting party (Verifier) as allowed by the policies
of the PDP.

- Adrian