Re: Question on use of base64 vs base64url in modern specifications

I'm not sure I understand when a key would be ephemeral.  In DID use cases,
there are interactions that could be done machine to machine using QR codes
or some other mechanism.  I'm not sure I understand the draw-back of
allowing for an encoding that's human readable even if ti's unlikely to be
used often or ever.  Base58 and Base58-check are well tested encodings that
are fault tolerant and the latter provides error detection.  As was
mentioned in a previous email by Christopher, the future will likely be
bech32 (see bip32 https://github.com/sipa/bech32/issues/51) which provides
error correction as well.  However, bech32 is not as well understood as
base58 and there are still bugs being corrected:
https://github.com/sipa/bech32/issues/51.

Cheers,
-Yancy