Use of Base58 in technical specifications

From: Christopher Allen <ChristopherA@lifewithalacrity.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 12:41:21 -0700
To: Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>
I'm trying to get an understanding of the use of base58 and base58check in
technical specifications (not standards), in particular, how broad the
usage is of bae58 in the non-IETF/W3C standards based blockchain
communities.

Base58 similar to Base64 but has been modified to avoid both
non-alphanumeric characters and letters which might look ambiguous when
printed. Base58 achieves 73% efficiency. Like Base64URL, it avoids conflict
with URI reserved characters, but it doesn't seem to say anything about
forbidding line-break characters (but I've never seen linebreaks in a
base58).

It has been argued: "We reject Base58 and Base58Check (for use in a URI)
due to their lack of widespread adoption."

But just because the IETF and W3C standards communities this is true, isn't
necessarily a sufficient argument that it lacks "widespread adoption".

— Christopher Allen