Re: Hashlink parameterized URL

On 4/22/20 1:19 AM, alex thompson wrote:
> Regarding parameterized URLs
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sporny-hashlink-04#section-3.2
>
> Can we generalize that for URL segments instead of just query string
> similar to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6920#section-5
>
> Examples: ./hl;zQmWvQxTqbG2Z9HPJgG57jjwR154cKhbtJenbyYTWkjgF3e
> ./hw.txt#hl;zQmWvQxTqbG2Z9HPJgG57jjwR154cKhbtJenbyYTWkjgF3e
>
> I think there are clear use cases for having it in the path (avoiding
> conflicts with windows filesystems not allowing "?") and fragment
> (doing client side only validation)

Hmm... that's an interesting thought. The Parameterized URL stuff was
meant to be a hack to enable the use of hashlinks in legacy URL formats.

Allowing them to be embedded in paths and fragments seems like even more
of a hack, so the question really is... are we ok with hashlinks being
hacked into all these awkward places?

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, so am happy to add
an experimental section stating something to the effect of "Hey, if you
want to embed a hashlink in a path or a fragment identifier, here's one
way you can do it, and this is experimental and we're looking for
feedback on whether or not this is useful to you. Is this the only way
you can achieve your use case?".

... and then we wait for feedback. If we get no feedback or negative
feedback, we take it out of the spec. If we get positive feedback, we
keep it in.

Would that work for you, Alex?

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches