Credential content

From: Kim Hamilton Duffy <kimhd@mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 13:14:39 -0700
To: "W3C Credentials CG (Public List)" <public-credentials@w3.org>, Alex Jackl <alex@bardicsystems.com>, Jim Goodell <jimgoodell@qi-partners.com>, "Nadeau, Gregory" <gnadeau@pcgus.com>, James Kelly <jim@jimkellytech.com>, Joe Andrieu <joe@legreq.com>
Hi all,
There's an interesting discussion happening here (
https://github.com/w3c-ccg/vc-examples/issues/31) regarding constructing
the credential content. Many of the comments are resonating with my
experience of creating "real-world" credentials.

In my experience, there are several common scenarios for creating
credentials. I wanted to start writing these up because how we deal with
them will be different (and it's easy to get confused when switching
contexts). Feel free to edit
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14yZ4nkubagv4S8_fKnVK5bnMJDDzY452zUFTDctYRs0/edit#

Summary of primary cases:

   1. Vocabulary/taxonomy known and LD context is available
      - However, additional unmapped fields may be added
   2. Machine-readable fields available (merge fields) but not mapped to an
   existing vocabulary
   3. The credential is a thin wrapper around other content, not
   necessarily machine-readable.
      - Example: ILR wrapper design, link to PDF with content-integrity

There are numerous follow-on considerations (such as the need to
create/host LD contexts and others I haven't gotten into yet).

Many of us are operating in a state like #2, and hoping that there will be
pressure for convergence on standard contexts.

In the VC-EDU discussion tomorrow, we'll be talking about case #3 (Per
Alex, this will apply to 90% of the use cases for ILR wrapper, at least
initially).

Thanks,
Kim

--
*Kim Hamilton Duffy*

Senior Technology Architect

*MIT Open Learning | Digital Credentials Consortium*

kimhd@mit.edu