Re: Different Verifiable Credential protocols? (was: Re: Please vote to approve/disapprove the new charter)

There is a lot of incorrect conclusions and misinformation in this thread
about how technologies work. For example, web sockets are clearly http
traffic. This isn't even a debate item to my knowledge. Yes a bidirectional
binary TCP socket is created, but the session starts with an HTTP/1.1
request. I am willing to provide network stack dumps for people who want to
verify themselves.

HTTP/1.1 101 Switching ProtocolsUpgrade: websocketConnection: Upgrade

My lack of participation is mostly due to feeling like I am being unhelpful
by providing corrections. I don't want to be the technology hall monitor.

Websockets are also pure browser technology. I use them inside browsers and
embedded devices to push and pull data, while breaking out of a NAT proxy
without using a STUN server. (Because there was a known IP.)

If someone wants a purist definition of "web" to include no mime data,
please try to use lynx to render HTML as a pure HTTP browser. I am still
waiting for more people to accept the PUT and DELETE requests on their
webservers. (Some RESTful servers do.)

Although this discussion is very detailed, I would suggest the RFC and
actual session for protocols if there are further questions about protocol
definitions.

Ian Smith