Re: Performance question for JSON-LD with vc.js

> On Apr 2, 2020, at 3:07 PM, Dmitri Zagidulin <dzagidulin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There is *NOTHING* in the JSON-LD specification, in the definition of context (https://json-ld.org/spec/latest/json-ld/#the-context <https://json-ld.org/spec/latest/json-ld/#the-context>) that mandates that the URI/IRI be (a) resolvable or (b) that any such resolution be machine readable.

The proper reference is to https://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld11/#the-context <https://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld11/#the-context>, not the CG draft. It is at Candidate Recommendation on the way to Proposed Recommendation soon. Also, that section is not normative.

In any case, there is no normative requirement that contexts be dereferencable; in many cases, this is an anti-pattern, and for the case of VC (IIRC) it is intended to act as an identifier that a conformant application running in JSON-LD mode, would use to provide the context that might otherwise be dereferenced from that location, possibly using a custom document loader.

This is the case for other specs as well, where there is either the inability to dereference remote contexts at runtime, or a desire to avoid such traffic for other reasons.

> It might be worth bringing up that concern to the JSON-LD CG for the next version of the spec, over at https://github.com/w3c/json-ld-syntax/ <https://github.com/w3c/json-ld-syntax/>
>
> Further down, in that same section, the wording "In JSON-LD documents, contexts may also be specified inline. This has the advantage that documents can be processed even in the absence of a connection to the Web." is the part that points out that contexts need to be resolvable (and, again, in actual implementation it's recommended that they're stored locally, like npm packages, and not fetched over the web).

An inline context would be an object value for @context within the main document. Generally, when there may be a large external context, or the content is closely managed, using the reference as an identifier which is resolved by a custom document loader is probably the best way to go. This also allows a document loader to notice attempts to access other external contexts, which could be specified in a document, and either whitelist or blacklist depending on your needs.

Gregg