Re: Performance question for JSON-LD with vc.js

Thinking about this further, I suspect there might be confusion about what
a @context _is_.

It's a space-saving mechanism. It's a way to have globally unique property
names (using URLs), but for space-saving reasons, to be able to specify
short names for those URLs. (I walk through this, sort of from first
principles, in the article Understanding Linked Data
<https://medium.com/@codenamedmitri/understanding-linked-data-91b31ba544ec>
).

A @context is always a key-value map. (Of short names to longer URLs.) Now,
_where_ that key-value map lives is up to you as a developer. It can live
_embedded_ in your JSON-LD object. Or it can live on some server somewhere,
and you reference it by a URL. Except that as a security precaution, the
vc-js library (and other similar libs) does not fetch it via HTTP
automatically, but makes the developer allow that operation explicitly.

So.. a @context _is_ a JSON object. That either lives locally, or on a
remote server. Saying that it must or must not be machine readable doesn't
make any sense - it's machine readable by definition, otherwise it's not a
context...