W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-credentials@w3.org > October 2019

[MINUTES] W3C Credentials CG Call - 2019-10-08 12pm ET

From: <kimdhamilton@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2019 21:45:31 -0700
Message-Id: <1570682731750.0.1635@okimsRazor.local>
To: Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
Thanks to Ganesh Annan for scribing this week! The minutes
for this week's Credentials CG telecon are now available:

https://w3c-ccg.github.io/meetings/2019-10-08/

Full text of the discussion follows for W3C archival purposes.
Audio from the meeting is available as well (link provided below).

----------------------------------------------------------------
Credentials CG Telecon Minutes for 2019-10-08

Agenda:
  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2019Oct/0003.html
Topics:
  1. Introductions / Reintroductions
  2. Announcements & Reminders
  3. DIDs from a non-technical perspective
  4. IIW Report out
Organizer:
  Kim Hamilton Duffy and Joe Andrieu and Christopher Allen
Scribe:
  Ganesh Annan
Present:
  Justin Richer, Joe Andrieu, Markus Sabadello, Sumita Jonak, Helen 
  Garneau, Ted Thibodeau, Alexander Hripak, Heather Vescent, Kim 
  Hamilton Duffy, Gabe Cohen, Dave Longley, Ganesh Annan, Yancy 
  Ribbens, Dmitri Zagidulin, Brent Zundel, Shivam Sethi, Manu 
  Sporny, Jeff Orgel, Kaliya Young, Nate Otto, Ken Ebert
Audio:
  https://w3c-ccg.github.io/meetings/2019-10-08/audio.ogg

Sumita Jonak: Can we get info about the DID WG call details? USAA 
  would like to participate.
Kim Hamilton Duffy: https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/join
Alexander Hripak: Having issues connecting to voice, apologies 
  for the voip messages—keeps disconnecting
Gabe Cohen: Queue+
Kim Hamilton Duffy: 
  https://www.w3.org/community/about/agreements/cla/
Kim Hamilton Duffy: 
  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LkqZ10z7FeV3EgMIQEJ9achEYMzy1d_2S90Q_lQ0y8M/edit?usp=sharing
Jeff Orgel: JeffO - unable, on job site by-standing this call...
Alexander Hripak: Thank you, manu
Ganesh Annan is scribing.

Topic: Introductions / Reintroductions

Nate Otto: @Manu howdy, will join audio in a minute. I kept 
  popping up on weeks where the call was canceled recently and 
  being busy on weeks where it was held. Can't wait to catch up.
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Presen+ ahripak, gabec, yancy, helen, 
  mbertazz
Alexander Hripak:  Hi all, here from Credly
Manu Sporny:  The DID-Spec, the CCG version was taken up by 
  DIDWG. The CCG has to wrap up an archive of our version of the 
  spec. There's a couple of issues and PRs that are outstanding
  ... we want to process them and get agreement to help chairs 
  and editors make progress
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  We may need to do that during next week's 
  call
  ... we'll keep it in mind but please send an email so we can 
  add to the agenda next week
Manu Sporny:  Okay thanks
Gabe Cohen:  He this is Gabe Cohen from Workday...
  ... presented last week at IIW
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  We're glad to have you on the call

Topic: Announcements & Reminders

Gabe Cohen:  I'll send a draft in
Kim Hamilton Duffy: https://w3c-ccg.github.io/announcements/
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  We try to keep the link updated
Kim Hamilton Duffy: https://zoom.us/j/7077077007
  ... the interesting DID calls are on Thursdays at 1PM PT
  ... we have a DID WG launched
  ... must be a W3C Member or Invited Expert
  ... every Tuesday right before this call (usually)
  ... chairs is Brent and Dan
  ... Ivan is the staff contact
  ... on action items, we need to revisit them
  ... Helen is going to lead. Helen lead a session on this on 
  TPAC. This was a great way to think outside of the way we already 
  think about DIDs. This will be a good exercise for the group
  ... now that the DIDWG is started there's a question on how 
  more people can get involved
  ... Helen brings up great ideas on how to communicate DIDs to a 
  broader audience
  ... I'm happy that she was able to join
Kim Hamilton Duffy: 
  https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1O_jjvRtTsmFSucuw3LdtaVewCRMiX3DmmajT_h20a4w/edit?usp=sharing_eip&ts=5d97ab58
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  Linked is the slides

Topic: DIDs from a non-technical perspective

Helen Garneau:  This is a call with the most preeminent minds in 
  the space...
Helen Garneau:  Are there any metaphors that others use?
Manu Sporny:  For VCs the example we use...
  ... we started with the over age credential
  ... moved to a University Credential
  ... we fall back to the Driver's License Credential
  ... we use the example with using that credential for a car 
  rental
  ... it tends to be a long example to explain
  ... looking ahead at your slide 14 and our definitions for 
  these things make me cringe
Helen Garneau:  That's really helpful. Having 10mins when doing a 
  1hr presentation is a long time...
  ... trying to abbreviate this would be helpful
Dave Longley: A DID is like an SSN you create, you can prove you 
  own, and no one can steal just by seeing it
  ... the college credential is tough
  ... using the college ID to get a discount on a pizza is one 
  Nathan George uses
Heather Vescent: Wasn't this a comment about the spec a while 
  back? Making it more accessible?
Kaliya Young: There is a communications and outreach working 
  group at DIF now and it would be great to have this presentation 
  be shared with us there too.
Manu Sporny: Heathervescent, yes, it was... and we've got a 
  number of issues lodged against the DID WG version of the spec 
  that effectively boils down to "make it more accessible"... 
  working on it :) -- proposed language changes to make it better 
  are always welcome.
Kim Hamilton Duffy: The benefits slide is fantastic
Heather Vescent: @Manu maybe having an editor that can 
  communicate more clearly in non-technical jargon would be useful.
Manu Sporny: @Heathervescent it would be useful to have /anyone/ 
  that can communicate in non-technical jargon :) -- 
  https://github.com/w3c/did-spec/ is open to the world... anyone 
  can raise issues, propose text changes, etc.
Helen Garneau:  Wanted to pause for any questions?
Heather Vescent: @Manu as I've mentioned before, github is not 
  conducive to my participation in editing/wordsmithing. The 
  technical overhead is too high.
Dmitri Zagidulin:  I wanted to add a comment about the phone home 
  problem...
  ... so one of the things that I think we should emphasize
  ... that is missing from our conversations
  ... that relates the phone home problem
  ... is the idea of high risk vs. low risk transactions
  ... at a pizza parlor, there's no reason to phone home
  ... for a police officer checking a license they definitely 
  would want to phone home back to the issue
  ... I would like to add risk as a dimension to these problems
Helen Garneau:  I think this is a great idea
Manu Sporny: @Heathervescent -- yep, Github continues to be a 
  challenge there... with no clear solution :(
  ... this is something to keep in my mind when conveying this 
  technology
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  One challenge we find is asking people to 
  contribute through Github is a technological hurdle...
  ... we tried to make markdown to spec text easier
  ... how can we can get people focused on readability when we 
  have these hurdles already in the process
  ... I'm glad that your topic is kicking that off
Dmitri Zagidulin:  I wanted to offer a proposal to address 
  Heather's point
  ... if we want more non-technical contributions to the spec
  ... they may bump up against the github/technical hurdle
Manu Sporny: +1 To dmitriz --- you should be able to do that w/ 
  Editors at any time.
  ... have volunteers act as a translation layer
Manu Sporny:  I wasn't sure if we wanted to volunteer the editors 
  for more work like that. :) but definitely! [scribe assist by 
  Dmitri Zagidulin]
Heather Vescent: Might I suggest that we ask any non-technical 
  people who would contribute would *want* to interface with an 
  editing environment. Like ask for their opinion/requirements.
Manu Sporny: Well, speaking as someone who used to work as an 
  Editor where that used to be the normal workmode at W3C... I 
  don't mind :)
Kim Hamilton Duffy: +1 To this Heather: "ask for their 
  opinion/requirements"
Kim Hamilton Duffy: We should be able to come up with something 
  mutually agreeable
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  I am going to turnover to identitywoman for 
  a report out

Topic: IIW Report out

Kaliya Young:  So IIW was fantastic, there was a lot of...
  ... a lot of liveness and a 100 new folks and over 300 
  registered participants over the three days
  ... there was a lot of discussions for use cases around 
  marginalized communities
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Add yourself to the queue if you have 
  something to add re IIW
  ... there was a lot of progress around DID communications
  ... there was protocol development and where that will live in 
  the long term
  ... connect with Rouven and Sam Curren
  ... we had a group of Product Managers
  ... they translate the technology to products that people buy
  ... ton of new companies. The Sovrin folks have an incubator
  ... the demo hour was full of amazing companies
  ... you can go to the wiki and look up who the demoers were and 
  a link to their site
  ... there was also threads along the OpenID work and SSI work
  ... you can go into the details in the notes
  ... I will open it up for others to make comments
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  Thank you
Dmitri Zagidulin:  I wanted to highlight DID Communication...
  ... we standardized the VC Data Model
  ... but the protocol was out of scope
  ... now we have a situation where different dev communities 
  invented their own which are slightly incompatible
Kaliya Young: Session notes - 
  https://iiw.idcommons.net/IIW_29_Session_Notes
  ... another important thing that happened at IIW, there were 
  multiple sessions around Data Hubs and Data Vaults
  ... now that we have VCs where we going to store them
Kaliya Young: I would encourage folks to check out the demo hour 
  - https://iiw.idcommons.net/IIW_29_Demo_Hour
Manu Sporny: Work done at RWoT9 on EDVs - 
  https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rwot9-prague/blob/master/draft-documents/encrypted-data-vaults.md
Kaliya Young: Companies.
  ... not sure where this standardization effort is going to live
Heather Vescent:  I did the SSI 101 session...
Heather Vescent: 
  https://www.slideshare.net/heathervescent/introduction-to-self-sovereign-identity-iiw-october-2019
  ... what was different about this one, I recruited two new 
  people
  ... we got through 76 slides in an hour
  ... this is interesting because it piggy backs off of some of 
  the points made in Helen's great presentation
  ... I second everything she said in her deck
  ... made new slides to describe SSI
  ... it builds upon the work that many of us in the community 
  did
Kaliya Young:  Another thing DIF has got now is they have formed 
  a Communications and Outreach group/committee
  ... it might be a good place for those interested to 
  collaborate
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  Close to time. We should cover next week 
  about the DID Spec wrap-up that manu brought up
  ... we'll be sure to give you time to talk about it next week
  ... we'll also take time to talk about VC wrap up
  ... thank you everyone
Received on Thursday, 10 October 2019 04:45:40 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:19:01 UTC