Re: Proposed work item: did:key DID Method

Thanks for the link to the comparison.

________________________________
From: Orie Steele <orie@transmute.industries>
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2019 10:57:25 AM
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Cc: W3C Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Proposed work item: did:key DID Method

I'm interested, I created a web resolver and demo website from the current version of the driver for testing purposes:

https://github.com/transmute-industries/did-key

I had a question before the spec was available, regarding multibase as the only encoding format for the DID.

Is it true that there will always only be a single DID per public key?

I was hoping that this work could be extended to support a DID Document representation for cryptographic key types, as well as formats, such as PEM / JWK, secp256k1, RSA, etc... but it would be the case that the same key encoded in different ways would result in different documents.

Regarding did:peer, this is clearly very different, it does not involve storing of events (https://openssi.github.io/peer-did-method-spec/index.html#backing-storage), you can see a comparison in the peer did spec:

https://openssi.github.io/peer-did-method-spec/index.html#did-key-and-did-nacl

[https://mailfoogae.appspot.com/t?sender=ab3JpZUB0cmFuc211dGUuaW5kdXN0cmllcw%3D%3D&type=zerocontent&guid=25bea378-f85b-45c7-b4ed-faa228d8f280]ᐧ