Re: Report on the DID Spec call today

Hey Drummond, apologies that many of us couldn't make the call

On 6/6/19 10:26 PM, =Drummond Reed wrote:
> # Second, we closed on a second matrix parameter: service-type. #
> Third, we had a good, long discussion about the proposed key and
> key-type parameters. We didn't close on them, but we make a lot of
> progress.

I have very serious reservations about all of the *-type matrix
parameters. I continue to not understand the use cases and why we're
stuffing application-level logic into the DID. The same goes for the key
parameter, which feels like a solved problem (use a fragment id).

The need for the service parameter is clear, so this isn't a complete
push back against matrix parameters... it's a push back on the growing
list of matrix parameters that seem to have layer violations in them
and/or poorly described use cases.

I know it's frustrating to hear this, especially because I haven't been
commenting on the PRs and haven't been able to attend the meetings
(which is why I really appreciate the summaries on the mailing list).
The VC spec is eating up all of my standards effort time, so it's not
due to a lack of interest, but due to being time poor at present. I'm
hoping that will come to a close soon as the VC spec is completed.

In any case, I just wanted to shoot this out there so that it doesn't
come up as a surprise. Things that would alleviate my concern would be:

* A documented use case for service-type.
* A documented use case for key-type.

Once we have those use cases, we can debate whether or not the use case
should be addressed using matrix parameters or good 'ol fashioned "just
parse the DID Document looking for those types" method.

The underlying concern that I have is that we're over complicating the
base layer (DID URL syntax).

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches