Re: Identity Hubs and Agents

Two separate things. First a taxonomy for agent protocols that extends
Kim's strawmen. Then, a response to Danel H's verifiable credentials
sharing model.

Agent Protocol Use Cases / Strawmen

Define an agent as: A service where a requesting party other than the data
subject may present access credentials.

1 - Mobile-to-Online: Alice owns both agents. e.g. Alice’s biometrically
protected mobile wallet delegates to Alice’s online agent service based on
Intel SGX.

2 - Online-to-Online: Alice owns both agents. e.g. Alice’s online agent
delegates to another agent that Alice also owns for pairwise-pseudonymity
privacy reasons.

3 - Online-to-Data Processor: Alice’s agent is the GDPR data controller and
delegates to a GDPR data processor that is a separate entity. e.g. Alice
gets a blood test at a national lab. The lab does not process or act on the
basis of requesting party credentials. (except law enforcement).

3a - Online-to-Alice-owned Data Processor: This is the case where Alice
owns both the controller and the processor. This case does not require a
standardized protocol between the controller and processor but could
benefit from it in some cases where the services are provided to Alice by
separate hosts. e.g. Alice chooses Apple for her controller and Microsoft
for her processor.

4 - Online-to-Data Broker: Alice’s agent is the data controller and
delegates to another data controller that is a separate entity. e.g. Alice
gets a blood test at a national lab and posts a link to the lab to a dating
service directory. The dating service decides if Bob can access the data
pointing to the lab.

*Re: Verifiable Credentials Sharing - *From a privacy engineering
perspective, I'm not sure it matters whether a data processor is acting as
a DID holder or an attribute store. In both cases the entity is just an
access policy execution point and not a controller. The situation is made
more confusing by streaming direct from the issuer, encrypted credentials
(e.g. a letter of recommendation that the subject is not allowed to see),
verifiable presentations, zero-knowledge proofs, searchable attributes,
etc... but I would maintain that the five strawmen above are all
independent of the VC vs. private attribute distinction.

Adrian