Re: Update on DID Spec Task Force and final week sprint to prepare the Community Final Draft

Hi all,

It's great to hear how close the new WG is to becoming a reality!

This past week our team looked at what would be required to implement a
basic (yet fully compliant) DID resolver, and we had some trouble answering
the following questions. I believe one or two of them are already being
discussed in open PR's, and hope that others will serve as valuable
feedback on the spec.

   - How should a resolver handle network connectivity issues during
   resolution?
   - Will establishing a Data Model for the DID Document be an early
   priority for the new WG?
   - Is the no-cache input-option always passed by the client, or can it be
   supplied by the resolver?
      - How does the client pass this input option to the resolution
      algorithm when it's not an input option for the dereferencing algorithm?
   - Are steps 3 and 4 in the dereferencing algorithm (matrix parameters
   'service' and 'fragment') mutually exclusive? If not, how should a DID URL
   with both be dereferenced?
   - Section 8 (Resolvers) of the DIDs spec says that a resolver "MAY offer
   the service of returning requested properties of the DID Document." If this
   means dereferencing, should it say MUST, as this is said to be required in
   the resolver spec?

I understand that the current group priority is to close as many open PRs
as possible before the split, but I am more than happy to open issues and
PRs for any of these which the group thinks warrant further discussion.

Thanks very much,
Charlie Haviland

*Charlie Haviland*
Software Developer | SelfKey