Re: Materials from 2019-04-11 combined DID Spec and DID Resolution Spec meeting

In regards to 1.b there are number of differences between the browser and agent/wallet approach. This is especially important given the fact that the user (or a designated entity) will handle the private keys.

-Avesta

From: Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>
Date: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 10:30 AM
To: Luca Boldrin <luca.boldrin@infocert.it>
Cc: =Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@evernym.com>, Avesta Hojjati <avesta.hojjati@digicert.com>, Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>, David Chadwick <D.W.Chadwick@kent.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Materials from 2019-04-11 combined DID Spec and DID Resolution Spec meeting

Does 1b really matter? How I come to present my license to the TSA inspector does not matter now.

Adrian

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 2:09 AM Luca Boldrin <luca.boldrin@infocert.it> wrote:

In a recent discussion with Digicert on the role of CAs in this setting, we came to a fully overlapping view:

Trust on the infrastructure, which may be further split into
Trust on some underlying registry providing a common infrastructure - This is the new element introduced by permissioned/unpermissioned ledgers. (DID method)
trust on the sw dealing with personal information (wallet, agent) - This is similar to the role of browsers
trust on the information, which may be further split into
trust on the identity of VC issuers (is universityX really universityX?)– This is the traditional role for CAs
trust on the VC issuer himself (given that universityX is universityX, can I trust it?)– this is a personal choice, which may be supported by domain specific agreements.

The playing field between is “mega VC issuers” and “small distributed VC issuers” is probably on 2.b.

We believe that 2.a is functional to trust on small distributed issuers, since under some regulatory setting the certainty of the identity (2.a) supports the enforcement of liability, which is an essential component of trust. Mega VC issuers do not need that, they are well-known…

Best,

--luca