[MINUTES] W3C Credentials CG Call - 2018-09-18 12pm ET

Thanks to  for scribing this week! The minutes
for this week's Credentials CG telecon are now available:


Full text of the discussion follows for W3C archival purposes.
Audio from the meeting is available as well (link provided below).

Credentials CG Telecon Minutes for 2018-09-18

  1. Introductions & Reintroductions
  2. Announcements & Reminders
  3. Progress on Current Action Items
  4. Status of work items
  Christopher Allen and Kim Hamilton Duffy and Joe Andrieu
  Mike Lodder, Christopher Allen, Jeff Orgel, Andrew Hughes, 
  Heather Vescent, Dan Burnett, Lucas Parker, Joe Andrieu, Chris 
  Webber, Bohdan Andriyiv, Drummond Reed, Nate Otto, Dmitri 
  Zagidulin, Kim Hamilton Duffy, Kaliya Young, Ryan Grant

Christopher Allen: Voip 0d3 is Christopher Allen
Jeff Orgel: Present +
Andrew Hughes: Hi - is audio working? or is it my config?
Mike Lodder: I can scribe today
Joe Andrieu: @Achughes I'm hearing the audio fine
Joe Andrieu: Thanks, Mike!
Mike Lodder: Please put present+ then your name everyone
Drummond Reed:  I am the Chief Trust Officer at Evernym working 
  on Trust Frameworks [scribe assist by Mike Lodder]
Mike Lodder: ...: Will not be attending RWoT due to a conflict

Topic: Introductions & Reintroductions

Topic: Announcements & Reminders

Christopher Allen: https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rwot7
Kim Hamilton Duffy: https://w3c-ccg.github.io/announcements/
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Scribe training: 
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  First half focusing on scribing, second half 
  focused on publishing minutes [scribe assist by Mike Lodder]
Kim Hamilton Duffy: RWOT EventBrite: http://rwot7.eventbrite.com
Christopher Allen:  Over 20 advanced readings and topics [scribe 
  assist by Mike Lodder]
Joe Andrieu: 
Mike Lodder: ...: Please read these papers before the event but 
  it is not mandatory
Joe Andrieu: Also great reads for many of us involved in this 
  work, even if you can't make the event.
Dan Burnett:  Is the paper deadline extended [scribe assist by 
  Mike Lodder]
Joe Andrieu:  Submit a paper and get the discount [scribe assist 
  by Mike Lodder]
Heather Vescent: But please register ASAP or LMK if you have any 
  dietary requirements, please.
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Lodging / other RWOT questions: 
Christopher Allen:  There are student scholarships available for 
  attending RWoT [scribe assist by Mike Lodder]
Kim Hamilton Duffy: TPAC: https://www.w3.org/2018/10/TPAC/
Joe Andrieu: That's the correct email 
Kim Hamilton Duffy: IIW: http://iiw.idcommons.net
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  TPAC is where DID will be evangelized 
  [scribe assist by Mike Lodder]
Mike Lodder: ...: IIW is happening at the same time
Joe Andrieu: Lol. I tried to add you, Kaliya.
Kaliya Young:  TPAC is almost full [scribe assist by Mike Lodder]
Drummond Reed:  Do we have a hard limit? [scribe assist by Mike 
Kaliya Young:  Registration closing at 300 [scribe assist by Mike 

Topic: Progress on Current Action Items

Kim Hamilton Duffy: 
Kim Hamilton Duffy: 
Mike Lodder: Who is speaking?
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Here: 
Mike Lodder: Thanks
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Achughes
Kim Hamilton Duffy: https://github.com/w3c-ccg/community/issues/3
Andrew Hughes:  I haven't made any progress yet on that [scribe 
  assist by Mike Lodder]
Mike Lodder: ...: Issue #2
Kim Hamilton Duffy: https://github.com/w3c-ccg/community/issues/4
Nate Otto: https://epic.openrecognition.org/ is in Paris Oct 
  24-26 just after TPAC if anybody wants to come by on the way back 
  for some fun use case exploration around preserving any 
  individual/entities ability to participate fully in recognition 
  (often, credentialing). Low cost conference too!
Andrew Hughes: The unedited screengrab is here: 
Andrew Hughes: 15 Views so far
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  Can't work on issue #3 since manu is not in 
  attendance today [scribe assist by Mike Lodder]

Topic: Status of work items

Kim Hamilton Duffy: 
Mike Lodder: ...: Or #4
Joe Andrieu:  Lionel is close to publishing minimal disclosure 
  paper [scribe assist by Mike Lodder]
Mike Lodder: ...: What do we need to do formally to publish this 
  as a report?
Kim Hamilton Duffy: 
Kim Hamilton Duffy: https://goo.gl/ZeyJUS
Joe Andrieu:  Lionel's paper will help us finalize the process 
  for publishing reports [scribe assist by Mike Lodder]
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Draft: https://w3c-ccg.github.io/did-spec/
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Issues: 
Drummond Reed:  No alarm about the spec falling apart [scribe 
  assist by Mike Lodder]
Mike Lodder: ...: Lots of companies rallying around it
Kaliya Young: +Q - later on in the discussion - I want to comment 
  on naming overall.  Based on conversations the last month on the 
Mike Lodder: ...: There are a few issues that need to be closed
Mike Lodder: ...: The term owner will be replaced
Joe Andrieu: (Btw, the term replacement is an active discussion, 
  not yet a conclusion)
Ryan Grant: DID query ticket: 
Mike Lodder: ...: I was at DID discussion and it was discussed 
  about keys and how they are used, what we need is what are the 
  recommended key types
Mike Lodder: ...: Establish best practices at RWoT
Mike Lodder: ...: What keys are most actively used and 
Kaliya Young:  The language of Self Sovreign Identity is a real 
  barrier to entry [scribe assist by Mike Lodder]
Heather Vescent: +1 I've heard this too from governments in 
Mike Lodder: ...: Governments hung up on misunderstanding about 
  issuing credentials
Heather Vescent: @Rgrant - not, but it has to be framed in a 
  certain way.
Joe Andrieu: https://github.com/w3c-ccg/did-spec/issues/101 
Joe Andrieu:  Owner is controlled by the courts [scribe assist by 
  Mike Lodder]
Joe Andrieu:  Controller is functional [scribe assist by Mike 
Mike Lodder: ...: I'd like to avoid the idea of owner
Christopher Allen:  I've run into this problem also [scribe 
  assist by Mike Lodder]
Mike Lodder: ...: Its been problematic so I hope we can switch to 
  something functional vs property based
Mike Lodder: ...: Taiwan loves the idea of Self Soveriegn 
Mike Lodder: ...: Taiwan and China in battle to remain recognized
Mike Lodder:  On the issue of keys [scribe assist by Kim Hamilton 
Kim Hamilton Duffy: ...Working on a library that's meant to be 
  open and allow interop
Kim Hamilton Duffy: ...Fair amount of interest, supports 2 most 
  popular key type
Kim Hamilton Duffy: ...Would like to work with folks to add 
Kim Hamilton Duffy: ...Will spearhead discussion at RWOT
Mike Lodder: https://github.com/hyperledger-labs/crypto-lib
Ryan Grant: My soapbox speech can wait.
Mike Lodder:  Point was also to support interop [scribe assist by 
  Kim Hamilton Duffy]
Kim Hamilton Duffy: ...Need that if DIDs are going to take off
Kaliya Young: Yep - we gotta make them talk to each other.
Kim Hamilton Duffy: ...Supports high security mode as well as 
  portable mode
Kim Hamilton Duffy: ...Should work anywhere
Kim Hamilton Duffy: ...Goal is to allow interop btw various DID 
  offerings. Use case may vary, e.g. credentials, etc, and those 
  should be accounted for
Mike Lodder: I added myself to state the interoperability
Christopher Allen:  JSON-LD support is causing more of a problem 
  than the cryptography primitives [scribe assist by Mike Lodder]
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  Drummond anything else to discuss on service 
  endpoints [scribe assist by Mike Lodder]
Drummond Reed:  Mike-lodder submitted a PR to address this, needs 
  review [scribe assist by Mike Lodder]
Mike Lodder: ...: And feedback
Mike Lodder: ...: Need to address Sam Smiths two issues related 
  to service endpoints
Mike Lodder: ...: Daniel Hardman is pressing for clarity for IDs 
  in DID documents
Kim Hamilton Duffy: https://github.com/w3c-ccg/did-spec/issues
Dan Burnett: Kim, I am now available to help with DID-related 
  work.  Let me know where I can help.
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  Next week's meeting will be canceled [scribe 
  assist by Mike Lodder]
Heather Vescent: Thanks all, Kim.
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Thanks @burn!

Received on Friday, 21 September 2018 20:07:19 UTC