Suggestion for using DIDs to solve the 'group payment for public goods' problem

From: Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 20:41:47 -0800
To: public-credentials@w3.org
Dear CCG,

In the text, this section of this week's discussion looks like it was
quite difficult—about fair compensation for work done—and I have a
suggestion, given afterwards.

On 2018-11-16 7:03 PM, kim@learningmachine.com wrote:
> Heather Vescent:… in our conversations, everyone has an idea of how you should
>    do it
>    ...snip...
>    … but I can't, the last time I did that, I was exploited. I'm
>    traumatized by this now
>...snip
> Heather Vescent: Right - so why don't we work together to ensure
>    this doesn't happen. Why can't we work together to solve this
>    problems for us all?
>
> Manu Sporny: I think the issue is that we don't know/how/  to
>    solve the problem, heathervescent.

Ironically, this problem—fair compensation for digitized work—was part
of the reason I joined Web Payments in the first place.

And I think asking for it to be solved now, before DIDs exist, turns
it into a chicken-and-egg problem.

That is, Heather and Kaliya would like to be fairly compensated, but
so would Manu, and many others; including people working on digital
things that have nothing to do with DIDs -- except that when DIDs
finally exist they may help solve the problem.

So, it seems to me that Kaliya and Heather have three options:

1. Suggest to the main DID code-writers -- some of whom,
interestingly, have said they also would like a bounty for their work
-- that a possible bootstrapping could occur if a DID method was made
especially for the purpose of collecting money for the development of
DIDs. In other words, all the people who would like to 'crowdfund'
such an effort -- the code-writing and the evangelizing materials --
would then be able to do so through a functional DID system. People
would create DID Docs and contribute money through the system, and the
system would allow them to allocate it and track where the money goes.

I don't know if such a system is possible yet; or if it is, it's
probably hard to make. But the stakes are high: the people who could
make it work might be able to both be well-compensated, and
demonstrate what DIDs can do, rather dramatically.

or:

2. Organize other people into the formation of one of the existing
types of governance of our world, specifically to promote DIDs with:
crowdfunding, or a non-profit society, or a corporation. Then the
directors of such an organization, or the members of it, could vote on
whether to purchase your existing report, and release it.

or:

3. Do volunteer work only; as much as you're comfortable with. And
wait. Probably eventually DIDs will exist.

Steven Rowat