Re: [AGENDA] W3C Credentials CG Call Tue, November 20th, 12 noon EST, 9 AM PST

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 10:40 AM Joe Andrieu <joe@legreq.com> wrote:

> TL;DR: Pain points resolved by DIDs
>

>    1.
>
>    Pre-DID Pain Points (30 min)

Regarding our discussion Tuesday on Pre-DID Pain Points, a better
description might be what are the unsolved centralized, CA or federated
identifier problems that are adressed by DIDs now that they are possible.

Based on discussions with the W3C TAG (Technical Advisory Group) we've not
adequately explained why we need decentralized identifiers at all. We need
to answer this more effectively and integrate it into the next version of
the DID Primer.

>    1.
>
>    We found ourselves struggling to work out what use cases you are
>    trying to support. What is the user need? When would I need a DID, and what
>    would I do with it? It would be useful for our review if you would produce
>    an explainer. (We've produced a template
>    https://github.com/w3ctag/w3ctag.github.io/blob/master/explainers.md ,
>    which might be useful).
>    We didn't find those answers in your primer, since it starts from the
>    explanation of what a DID is. We would really like to understand the need
>    from a user's perspective, which already exists in daily life, written in
>    clear non-technical language.
>
> It would also be useful if everyone could read the current DID Primer and
think about what else is missing.

Our goal is to complete this before the W3C Workshop on Strong
Authentication & Identity on December 10th and 11th in  Redmond, WA.
https://www.w3.org/Security/strong-authentication-and-identity-workshop/

BTW, the deadline for registration AND sending a position statement is
today, so if you want to go and help us there and haven't registered yet,
do so today!

-- Christopher Allen