Re: JSON-LD vs JWT for VC

Sure Manu,

The point is if you can alter the text after the signature then you can't
trust it.

You say meaningless whitespace can be inserted. If this is purely for
display purposes I'll buy that BUT
who decides whitespace. An attacker could change the definition of
whitespace when the library is compiled
and you'd never know. Let's say an attacker altered it to include commas or
periods.

You are correct in that an attacker can change the signature, but unless
you already trusted the key you could detect that scenario.
If the attacker changed the signature to a known public key then you
wouldn't know it. Apple
<https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2016/03/21/attack-of-week-apple-imessage/>
learned this the hard way. Hopefully
you also are MACing the entire message.

In any case it is not good practice to alter text in ANY way after a
signing.

It invites potential man-in-the-middle.

--
Mike Lodder