Re: Verifiable Credentials Communication protocol

On 03/29/2018 12:51 AM, Carlos Bruguera wrote:
> Hello everyone, I see there's a more or less precise definition on
> how Verifiable Credentials are to be represented
> (https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/), however, I haven't found much
> on the specification for how these credentials are requested,
> shared, offered, etc. Is there a defined (or in process of being
> defined) protocol or "meta" language for different entities to "talk
> about" credentials?

Yes, and this work goes back several years. In the more recent years,
people have been calling this DID Auth. There is a spec on how you move
Verifiable Credentials around in a browser environment here:

https://w3c-ccg.github.io/credential-handler-api/

a demo video of what it looks like in practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm3XBPB4cFY

and a demo site where you can try it out for yourself:

https://credential-repository.demo.digitalbazaar.com/

... and the code here:

https://github.com/w3c-ccg/credential-handler-api
https://github.com/digitalbazaar/credential-handler-demo

> I'm wondering if defining these protocols is also within the scope
> of this Group (I think it should be).

It is and doing so are current work items.

> I know I've read some scattered discussions on this regard, along
> with the different implementations on different use cases, but maybe
> there's nothing concrete as an attempt to /standardize/ VC
> communication among different parties?

That work is being actively moved forward.

> If there's some documentation on this topic. I'd appreciate any
> pointers on it.

Hope the links above help.

blog: The State of W3C Web Payments in 2017
http://manu.sporny.org/2017/w3c-web-payments/