Dial in issues (was: Re: Access to W3C Credentials Community Group calls)

On 03/13/2018 12:54 PM, =Drummond Reed wrote:
> I'm also happy for Evernym to offer a Zoom Room for video and audio
> that should not have any limitations, and that would still of course
>  be compatible with running the IRC channel concurrently.

-1 unless there is an automated mechanism that Evernym is going to put
in place to upload the raw audio for every call so that the minutes will
have the raw audio.

We have a very good track record of multiple years of accessible audio
recordings and transcriptions for the calls we're running. Let's not
drop that on the floor.

Every Zoom call we've had has resulted in the audio recording being
lost. People listen to these audio recordings and in some cases, the
audio recording is preferable (accessibility issues).

W3C has a mandate to make minutes accessible, and requiring a native
client with questionable accessibility characteristics is a problem.

I realize that SIP can be a pain for many, and we've tried fixing the
issue. We can try adding WebRTC support for the bridge, but it turns out
that some of the same reasons that cause SIP to not work will cause some
to not be able to use Zoom. For example, I can't use Zoom from a number
of my machines and calling in to Zoom channels from the road has proved
to be hit and miss. SIP is worse, but for that there is a phone-based
dial-in.

That said, we're happy for anyone else to host a bridge that meets the
following requirements:

1. Audio recordings of every call encoded in OGG format and uploaded to
a public repository.
2. Public telephone access.
3. SIP or VoIP access of some kind.

There is a fourth requirement in that we're trying to do interoperable
standards, and so we should be using non-proprietary software when
possible, but that's a nice to have, not a requirement.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud about this, but accessibility and
transparency is important, especially when you're doing open standards.

blog: The State of W3C Web Payments in 2017
http://manu.sporny.org/2017/w3c-web-payments/