Re: Call for Focal DID Use Cases

John,

Thanks for the documentation. The context your are describing looks similar to the European context that led to the development of eIDAS, while eIDAS is based on existing digital identity technology and multiple unique identifiers are supported. I personally make a distinction between « legal identity » and « other identity"  created to access digital services.

Natural Person and Legal Entity identity is the responsibility of some authoritative source in a jurisdiction. This is not exactly the same thing as a Twitter account. I am not requesting access to a service, I am registered as a member in a community and as such, I have some rights but also some duties. My autonomy is limited: I can change nationality and register in another community but they are rules to follow (like paying the taxes due before changing). The GDPR « Right to be forgotten » does not apply.

Such identity cannot be entirely « self sovereign » . If SSI/DID is the technology to use, a DID could be created with the « sovereign » authority, and each attribute of the identity could be a verifiable claim issued by the same « sovereign » authority. Whenever Personal ID or Organisation ID are used today, it could also be a VC. This would allow to add value to existing systems without having to change them all.

Service providers, such as banks, could then specify their requirements in term of verifiable claims to be provided.

It should not be too difficult to define an international standard for such « legal » identity for natural person and legal entity, if it focuses only on « who are you?» and not on « do you qualify ?».  The current practice is often to mix both and to assign Identifiers to « the authorized role «  of a legal entity or natural person.
From this international standard for legal identity specifying a set of verifiable claims to be issued by « sovereign authorities » ,  domain specific standard profiles could be specified. A banking profile would, for example, request claims such as name, address, date of birth, gender, country of nationality, country of residence,…, TIN for non-resident….

Unique Identifiers are not the solution but they are a solution to many operational problems:
Unique identifiers are not managed by a single authoritative source, they are assigned by an authoritative source in a community. In most cases, the unique ID is assigned by a local authority that can easily verify the attributes and control engagement in the community.
Unique identifiers are used to reference « someone » in a community. It determines how a member of a community is known by the other members of the community. One cannot expect to have multilateral DID between all members in a community
It also allows to retrieve a set of attributes that must be public in a community
Example: When GS1 assigns a GLN (on demand of an organisation), it follows some rules and the GLN can be used by all other members in the GS1 community and outside. All GLNs are published in some register to provide additional information to the community
Unique identifiers are however not digital identifiers. They provide access to information and serve to identify a party in some processes but they are not used to grant access to restricted resources
If unique identifiers such as GLN, DUN, LEI, BIC,… are issued as verifiable claims, we keep the current flexibility while adding the benefits of having digital, verifiable attributes

Stephane