Re: Call for Focal DID Use Cases

Joe, thanks for reminding me that a good use-case should be about value
creation and human experience rather than DID or some other tech. Here is
my attempt:

*Name *-- *A pithy name that captures the relevance of the use case*
A Prescription for Alice

*Background *-- *A sentence or three capturing current state of practice,
the motivation, and the value it creates*
Alice wants help with her urinary tract infection (UTI) and is a bit touchy
about her privacy. In the old days, she would have to make an appointment
in-person and get a paper prescription to take to a pharmacy. She wants to
save money and have peace of mind.

*Description *-- *A paragraph capturing the core action of the use case:
what people do*
Because she lives in Seattle, Alice is in a state that allows Planned
Parenthood to diagnose and prescribe online https://www.plannedparenthood.
org/get-care/get-care-online . Alice uses the identity wallet on her iPhone
to register with the online medical practice. She tells
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7lMxNfb7rw> the online practice her name
is Althea with password-less authentication and a verified driver's license
credential to prove that she's a WA resident. The remote physician, Bob, is
licensed by the WA Board of Medicine and credentialed by Planned Parenthood
of WA, Inc. He's securely signed in using the identity wallet on his
smartphone. Bob issues Alice a digital prescription in the form of a
verifiable credential and allows Alice to download it however she pleases.
Alice is a librarian and trusts her local public library to erase their
logs as allowed by law. She uses one of their computers to sign-in and do
all of this. She snaps a picture of the QR code that is the prescription to
take to the pharmacy. Charlie, the licensed pharmacist, scans the
prescription QR code and fills the prescription. Alice pays cash.

*Sticky Wicket *-- *A sentence or three capturing the awkward challenge in
this particular situation*
The challenge of this particular use-case is that only Bob and Charlie are
verified identities and accountable for their interaction with Alice. Alice
can be anonymous or pairwise-pseudonymous with both Bob and Charlie and
everything just works. Alice, Bob, and Charlie all keep separate and
legally authentic copies of the records of their interaction in case of
dispute.

*Distinction *-- *A brief phrase explaining what makes this use case
distinct*
The Prescription use-case is a common and high-value example of privacy
engineering as we shift to convenient and cost-effective online commerce
among licensed and unlicensed individuals as peers. Bob and Charlie benefit
by reducing or even eliminating the influence of their respective
institutions or employers and therefore make more money. They pass some
savings to Alice who also gets increased peace of mind.

What makes a good use case?

A good use case is one that is:
A. *Unique* -- minimal overlap with other use cases
B. *Relevant* -- highlights the particular value of DIDs
C. *Value Creating* -- there is demonstrable value to the people at the
heart of the use case
D. *Simple yet Sticky* -- simple enough to be accessible, but also captures
a potentially complicated edge case.
E. *Specific *-- Uses real names and real situations to help readers
empathize with the human requirements

Adrian

--

Adrian Gropper MD

PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
DONATE: https://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-3/