Re: Use Case: Transaction Identification (travel use cases)

On 07/11/2018 12:53 AM, Carlos Bruguera wrote:
> One thing that's not clear to me yet, though, is how can DIDs/VCs
> actually avoid the risks of improper personal information management
> once credentials and personal data have been shared with a relying
> party... Any opinions shared by the community on this regard?

VC's contain a "Terms of Use" field:

https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#terms-of-use

While the contents of that field are still under discussion, the idea is
that both the Issuer[1] of the Verifiable Credential and the Holder[2],
who creates Verifiable Presentations[3], can attach Terms of Use to the
data and digitally sign it such that their intent in sharing the data is
clear.

This enables issuers to say things like: "This credential can only be
used to prove citizenship."

It also enables holders (us) to say things like: "I only authorize the
use of this credential to establish an account with your service, you
are not authorized to store, cache, or share the credential."

... but in a machine-readable way that makes processing and compliance
with those statements automatic.

-- manu

[1] https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#dfn-issuers
[2] https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#dfn-holders