Re: Ideas about DID explanation

Ok - now to translate into more recognizable language ;-)
(And yes, I’m a supporter-nothing in this post is negative)

If you said this to any Business system owner, they might be nervous...

Drummond  - your middle paragraph might be a uniquely US-tainted statement
because there is no prohibition on using Social Security Number as a naked
unauthenticated identifier. To contrast, in Canada in the 80’s, faced with
rampant misuse of our equivalent number, the federal government made it
illegal to use the number as an identifier beyond it’s stated purpose
related to taxation. Also, in Europe, citizen identification numbers are
not secret.

A few statements that I have picked up along the way:
Identifiers must not be secret
The ability to assert an identifier (“possession”) does not equate to
control over that identifier

I think about the identifiers used on the Web today: typically email
address. Clearly not secret and knowing the email address does not mean it
is your email address. A weakness in the scheme is that people use the same
identifier everywhere because they are humans.

But look behind the implementation into the pattern and concept (this is
the critical explanation part, by the way)
*The service provider accepts whatever identifier that the person gives
them*

Then the service provider executes their chosen authentication strategy
(local, federated, etc) to establish an authenticated identifier.

This is directly what we are asking service providers to do: a) accept a
DID as the identifier, and b) use the Authentication method of that DID to
achieve the authenticated identifier.

They already do a) if they operate a modern system. They should be
sceptical and nervous about doing b)
That’s the part we should focus on - the authenticated identifier, not the
identifier.
Why do we believe that the new authentication techniques are as strong or
stronger than what they have today?

Andrew.

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 4:53 AM =Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@evernym.com>
wrote:

> To generalize on Stephen's (excellent) point, any system of record—not
> just governments—can follow the same pattern: map their internal identifier
> for a subject (citizen/customer/employee/contractor/partner/etc.) to
> a pairwise pseudonymous DID supplied by the subject.
>
> Now the subject can prove control over the DID to the system of record
> *without* having to use/reuse the system of record's internal identifier
> anywhere. Suddenly the ability for anyone to use an internal identifier as
> proof of identity just goes away. It moves where it should: to the private
> key(s) for a DID—and that DID shared with only the parties who need to know
> that it.
>
> Stronger security, stronger privacy, lifetime portability. What's not to
> like about this picture? (Other than the key management, which we are
> working on diligently).
>
> On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 11:56 AM Stephen Curran <swcurran@cloudcompass.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> How a government system can get to using centrally issued IDs is exactly
>> what we are trying to do in British Columbia with VON (https://vonx.io).
>> We are building out the supply side of Verifiable Credentials of government
>> IDs (public ones, initially) to create a demand from Organizations (run by
>> Individuals) to be Holders and Provers of those Verifiable Credentials. Any
>> jurisdiction can make use of the VON tools/techniques to participate in
>> building that demand.
>>
>> Data breaches that have made someone knowing a tax-id irrelevant as to
>> whether they are the subject of that ID has made the standalone use of
>> those IDs pretty much useless - online or off. Requiring the presentation
>> (proof) of a claim of that ID from a Verifiable Credential issued by an
>> authorative source is of value, and is exactly what will motivate
>> governments to move to this model. We believe this model will be a far
>> cheaper and scalable vs. traditional IP/IAM systems.
>>
>> *Stephen Curran*
>> Principal, Cloud Compass Computing, Inc.
>> P // 250-857-1096
>> W // https://www.cloudcompass.ca
>> [image: Twitter] <https://twitter.com/scurranC3I>
>> On Dec 9 2018, at 9:03 am, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> For me working in the other end of the identity conundrum [1] it would
>> still be interesting knowing if there is (or could be) a "union" between
>> these opposing universes.
>>
>> Although I'm personally heavy into innovation [2], I find that schemes
>> that requires "total rewrite of everything" tend to go nowhere.
>>
>> Basic question: How could an existing government system using centrally
>> issues tax numbers gradually adopt DIDs?
>>
>> thanx,
>> Anders
>>
>> 1] https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmhUDQ0Od0GTgWnVtlfN9jTPx1LR
>> 2] https://cyberphone.github.io/doc/two-visions-4-mobile-payments.pdf

> [...]
Andrew Hughes CISM CISSP
o  +1 650.209.7542 m +1 250.888.9474
1249 Palmer Road, Victoria, BC V8P 2H8
AndrewHughes3000@gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-hughes-682058a
Digital Identity | International Standards | Information Security