From: Gilang Bhagaskara <gilang@idblockchain.network>
Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 1:07:05 PM
To: public-credentials@w3.org
Subject: Fwd: Ideas about the monetization of self-sovereign identity business

Hi, this is my first time posting here, I joined hoping to learn and contribute to this group. I'm relatively new to decentralized identities and self sovereignty, so I hope that the topic I am bringing up is not too far from the ideals and goals of this group.

I want to share a concept design where a business running self-sovereign identity services can monetize, with the following diagram as an explanation. (sorry if it looks ugly)

[image.png]
(use https://snag.gy/JB9SNa.jpg if picture is not available)

Basically the business will be supported by a consortium of companies running blockchain nodes, where the SSI company will channel its profit to the consortium members.

  1.  Main source of income is from companies utilizing SSI services and paying yearly subscriber fee for their users (in USD)
  2.  Government bodies can use the services with a discounted rate, up to 100% for identity issuer
  3.  50% of the profit the company receives is distributed among consortium members
  4.  Portions received by consortium members is different depending on the deal with the SSI company
  5.  Consortium members can also utilize the services for their business, converting the profit sharing into discount rate for subscription fee if the value is still viable
  6.  Government can join consortium, also receiving the profit sharing
  7.  Government (or other companies) can give grant to the ecosystem, either directly to the SSI company or to the consortium

What do you think? Has this concept been realized before? What are the pros and cons of this concept? Thoughts and questions are welcome.

Regards,
Gilang