Re: First version of IETF formatted Multihash spec published

On 08/13/2018 03:10 AM, Bohdan Andriyiv wrote:
> Only, minor reservation, why it is called "multihash"? For me it
> suggests that the value of multihash contains multiple hashes. I
> would call it "unihash" (unified, universal hash).

The name comes from Juan Benet and Protocol Labs... it's their baby...
they named it. :)

The multiformats series of specifications supports encoding "multiple
types of things" in packed binary data in a deterministic way. The name
makes a good bit of sense, IMHO... but again, that's a bit in the
past... it's been called that for years and I don't think attempting to
change it would go over well at this point.

blog: The State of W3C Web Payments in 2017
http://manu.sporny.org/2017/w3c-web-payments/