Re: [MINUTES] W3C Credentials CG Call - 2017-10-31 12pm ET

Here are some corrections to the minutes

regards

David

On 31/10/2017 18:30, msporny@digitalbazaar.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> Agenda:
>   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2017Oct/0116.html
> Topics:
>   1. Status of Action Items
>   2. Credential Handler API
>   3. W3C TPAC Planning
>   4. Post RWoT DID Spec
> Organizer:
>   Kim Hamilton Duffy and Christopher Allen
> Scribe:
>   Mike Lodder
> Present:
>   Mike Lodder, Kim Hamilton Duffy, David Chadwick, Christopher
>   Allen, Ryan Grant, Dave Longley, Joe Andrieu, Manu Sporny, Susan
>   Bradford, David I. Lehn, Adrian Gropper
> Audio:
>   https://w3c-ccg.github.io/meetings/2017-10-31/audio.ogg
>
> Mike Lodder is scribing.
>
> Topic: Status of Action Items
>
> Kim Hamilton Duffy:  Will cover the DID PR
> David Chadwick:  Lifecycle document - haven't updated the
>   document to Markdown yet.
> Christopher Allen:  Need more clarity on the webpage about what's
>   been reviewed work items as opposed to what still needs to be
>   reviewed
> Christopher Allen: Also not sure about WoT items having been
>   approved / voted
> Ryan Grant: +1
> Kim Hamilton Duffy:  I will clarify work items that have been
>   voted on vs approved
> Dave Longley: +1
> Kim Hamilton Duffy:  Deadline passed last week for DID PR
> Joe Andrieu: Can we get the PR url?
> Manu Sporny:  We just want to know if the new set of changes are
>   a step in the right direction. We still need to fix some language
>   things from RWOT
> Christopher Allen: +1
> Kim Hamilton Duffy: Pr:
>   https://github.com/w3c-ccg/did-spec/pull/22
> Manu Sporny:  Does everyone believe that the PR overall improves
>   the spec?
> Christopher Allen:  No issues with PR but I haven't done a formal
>   review
> Ryan Grant:  Believe the PR is ok with direction
> Dave Longley: I recommend +1 for merging -- and outstanding
>   problems get a new, specific github issue
> Mike Lodder: +1 Dlongley
> Ryan Grant: It doesn't have "//" that results in a location
> Manu Sporny:  DID are URL's, maybe introduce the concept of DID
>   needs to be redone
>
> Topic: Credential Handler API
>
> Kim Hamilton Duffy:  DavidC should take the lead on discussing
>   API spec
> Dave Longley: +1 Reword introduction, more focus on stable ID vs.
>   "new" thing that isn't quite a URL (which it isn't)
> Dave Longley:
>   https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1qk9-6dpsZttrFr4qV-aID2L2OFTcKHL1epkzRgB8pZc/edit#slide=id.p3
>   <-- slides from David Chadwick
> Kim Hamilton Duffy: Credential API github issue:
>   https://github.com/w3c-ccg/credential-handler-api/issues/1
> David Chadwick:  FIDO protocol was used and keys are stored not

not -> on

>   the smartphones and computers
> David Chadwick:  Presented to others

at EIC 2017 Munich, and some attendees

> from JOSE / Web
>   Authentication

said that the FIDO spec is

> now out of date

delete next line
-----
-----
> David Chadwick: FIDO spec is being replaced by W3C Web Auth and IETF token binding specs. The interface is easy to use and tested with
>   hospital patients
> David Chadwick:  Hospital patients like it much better
> David Chadwick:  With his interface users didn't need to enter
>   usernames or passwords
> Dave Longley: https://w3c-ccg.github.io/credential-handler-api/
> Dave Longley:  Web authentication should be viewed as
>   complementary vs alternative to credential handler api
> Dave Longley:  What are the reasons why your approach is easier
> Dave Longley:  How does this stuff work on the web?
> David Chadwick:  Credentials are on the device
> David Chadwick:  Its easier to use because there are less steps
>   involved
> David Chadwick:  Manu's was cumbersome and complex
> David Chadwick:  The phone handles the logic and allows the user
>   to choose

which VCs to use and give his

> consent
> Dave Longley:  Credentials handler can potentially live on the
>   device or can live on the web in a secure location
> Ryan Grant: That was/is my question: how are credentials
>   reestablished in case the device is lost?

David Chadwick: If the device is lost the user must register with the
issuers again
(unless he already has a backup device holding the credentials)

> Dave Longley:  The interface is dependent on the software
>   implementer
> Dave Longley:  The point is to have the browser do the minimum
>   amount of work

> David Chadwick:

Agreed

> The protocols need to be standardized to allow
>   for mixing and matching

of the various system components

> Ryan Grant:  Where are the separation of concerns addressed?
> David Chadwick:  I would like the protocol between the inspector
>   and holder to be standardized
> Dave Longley: +1 For standardizing the "policy"/"query" and
>   response
> David Chadwick:  Whatever approach we choose should be compatible
>   with how browsers are today
> Ryan Grant: I understand the focus and will consider lost devices
>   a problem to be solved by implementaitons.
> Manu Sporny: Agree that the way to get browser adoption is to
>   make the browser vendors do as little as possible.
> Mike Lodder:  +1 Rgrant, that problem is up to the vendor To
>   solve
> Dave Longley:  Credential handler api is lower than the layer
>   that DavidC was talking about
> Christopher Allen: Time check. TPAC review is critical path.
> David Chadwick:  Allowing multiple wallets adds lots of
>   complexity
> Dave Longley:  Different wallets can provide different
>   credentials
> Kim Hamilton Duffy:  Do we have any action items to close out
>   this topic
> Ryan Grant: Do we have consensus that it fits?
> Ryan Grant: I think so
> Manu Sporny:  I don't think this is an item that gets closed out
> Kim Hamilton Duffy:  Manu will guide us through TPAC

David Chadwick: I would like Manu to add a slide to say that W3C Web
Auth protocol can be used by VCs. This will also help VCs to be
supported by others in W3C.