Re: Terminology poll (updated)

On 2017-06-26 10:52 AM, Dave Longley wrote:
> On 06/26/2017 01:34 PM, Steven Rowat wrote:
>> On 2017-06-26 9:27 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:
>>> * The number of options for ROLE_C has become so large that it will
>>> most likely lead to bad polling results. I suggest that we start
>>> aggressively culling the ROLE_C list before the vote starts
>>> tomorrow. We should get some strong arguments against roles that
>>> you feel should not be in the running.
>>
>> Here's my attempt to cull new Role C (the Holder/Presenter/... list) :

>> -1 SHARER IMO it seems to imply a specific role of 'distributing'
>> the claim. Maybe this is just baggage from other OS uses in my case,
>> but I wouldn't mind if it was removed from the list.
>
> I think that may actually be the only common purpose for this particular
> role given the various use cases where it appears in different forms.
>
> The most fundamental reason we have that role, IMO, is to demonstrate
> that the entity that made the claim (Issuer) does not have to be the one
> sharing the claim with the relying party (Inspector). That's the whole
> point:
>
> Party A can make a claim that party B can share with party C such
> that party C trusts it came from A -- without trust in party B.
>
> That's the strength of verifiable claims; you don't need party A to be
> the one who hands the claim over to party C.

That's a strong argument, but after trying various combinations on the
poll page, I still think Sharer lacks something, which is the
self-sovereign aspect.

The way the poll page is set up, the word we choose has to do for both
cases where the role is split and where it's not. I think Sharer is
especially not ideal when the Subject and the
Holder/Presenter/...Sharer are the same person.

Example, plugging in 'Sharer', 'Presenter', and 'Holder' to compare them:

"A(n) Sharer may present Claims directly to a Verifier. For example,
providing a digital driver’s license directly to a Verifier."

"A(n) Presenter may present Claims directly to a Verifier. For
example, providing a digital driver’s license directly to a Verifier. "

"A(n) Holder may present Claims directly to a Verifier. For example,
providing a digital driver’s license directly to a Verifier. "

To rephrase these, if I have my own driver's license, then I am either:
The Presenter of it
The Holder of it
The Sharer of it

I feel that Sharer falls down in this example; the other two seem
better, especially Holder.

The other main side of the split is if I'm authorized to be my niece's
legal guardian. The certificate that allows me that, the claim, I can
then be:

The Presenter of it
The Holder of it
The Sharer of it

Here they're closer, but again I'd prefer Holder.

To me Sharer doesn't convey the idea that there's authorization in the
Role to care for the Subject's data. I believe Holder does, and
Presenter does but less so. Not so Sharer.

Steven