Re: Terminology poll (updated)

On 06/26/2017 01:34 PM, Steven Rowat wrote:
> On 2017-06-26 9:27 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:
>> * The number of options for ROLE_C has become so large that it will
>> most likely lead to bad polling results. I suggest that we start
>> aggressively culling the ROLE_C list before the vote starts
>> tomorrow. We should get some strong arguments against roles that
>> you feel should not be in the running.
>
> Here's my attempt to cull new Role C (the Holder/Presenter/... list)
> :

> -1 SHARER IMO it seems to imply a specific role of 'distributing'
> the claim. Maybe this is just baggage from other OS uses in my case,
> but I wouldn't mind if it was removed from the list.

I think that may actually be the only common purpose for this particular
role given the various use cases where it appears in different forms.

The most fundamental reason we have that role, IMO, is to demonstrate
that the entity that made the claim (Issuer) does not have to be the one
sharing the claim with the relying party (Inspector). That's the whole
point:

Party A can make a claim that party B can share with party C such
that party C trusts it came from A -- without trust in party B.

That's the strength of verifiable claims; you don't need party A to be
the one who hands the claim over to party C.

--
Dave Longley
CTO