Re: GitHub for Beginners (non-technical)

On 2017-06-21 1:08 AM, Timothy Holborn wrote:
> I wanted to develop some basic content for GitHub repos, that would
> explain (for non-technical users) how to use GitHub.

Understandable. I'm one of those, and I spent about three full days
last December reading about Git, setting up a Git on my desktop, and
attempting to understand the GitHub site. I never found simple
explanations. It would be great if they existed, but I came to the
conclusion that they may never exist, for several reasons.

See this site, for instance, "10 things I hate about Git,"

https://stevebennett.me/2012/02/24/10-things-i-hate-about-git/

and in particular number nine:

“Git dumps the burden of understanding complex version control on
everyone – while making the maintainer’s job easier. Why would you do
this to new contributors – those with nothing invested in the project,
and every incentive to throw their hands up and leave?”

That was the conclusion I came to. I threw up my hands and left.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, which I suspect, is that because
GitHub is a corporate entity they're functioning just like all the
others do: become a rabbit-hole that people fall into. Everything now
functions with GitHub add-ons, GitHub community, GitHub echo-chambers.
Just like Facebook.

I came to the conclusion that this is not a good thing to have
happening in the workings of a community, like the VC group, that are
attempting to solve a cross-humanity problem.

Of course they provide a service, just like Facebook does. I'm not a
member of Facebook either, so take my position however you like. :-)

Steven

being a corporate entity, is no different than