Re: GitHub for Beginners (non-technical)

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 1:08 AM, Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I wanted to develop some basic content for GitHub repos, that would
> explain (for non-technical users) how to use GitHub.
>
> Purpose being that the work be done in a manner that supports people who
> aren't so much using it as a code repo, but perhaps helping with issues,
> project tracking, documentation, wiki pages, et.al.

I have been threatening to do this for some time, as a number of
#RebootingWebOfTrust participants are not coders, so have been collecting
some links. No great ones yet, but some useful ones.

(uses github app) https://github.com/blog/480-git-for-non-programmers
(uses github app) http://www.chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/tag/github101

(windows only) https://www.sitepoint.com/version-control-git/

(incomplete, but some good introduction materials)
https://brennan.io/2015/08/07/github-noncoders/

(good, but focused on publishing github pages)
http://dannguyen.github.io/github-for-portfolios/

(15 minute command line utility) https://try.github.io/levels/1/challenges/1

I think it is also important to teach github’s version of markdown.

— Christopher Allen