Re: Worldview conflicts on the purpose of DID documents

I've been feeling for a while now that (for the reason of not breaking
basic web architecture), a DID should in principle be resolvable to any
RDF/JSON-LD document.

Saying that a DID document must [not] contain certain elements is like
saying that an HTTP URI must resolve to an HTML document that contains a
very specific HTML document structure.
You could even go a step further and say that a DID could in theory
resolve to any MIME type (just like HTTP URIs).

At the same time, yes we (mostly) invented DIDs for the purpose of
discovering associated keys and service endpoints for agents/hubs/etc.,
and we need to define how that works.

So even though in principle DIDs should be based on a very broad
"worldview", we do want to define "hardened DID documents" (just like in
theory you could define "hardened HTML documents" for certain uses of
HTTP URIs).

I don't see a conflict here, the spec just needs to articulate this.

I disagree with Dave that DID documents "necessarily include specifying
how that DID document can be changed".
This is a requirement specifically for Veres One, and there's nothing
wrong with Veres One DID documents to include this information.
None of the other DID methods need this, because they have their logic
of "who can update the DID under what conditions" built into their
specific method.

Markus