Re: Alternative terminology for "consumer"

On 3/30/16 6:09 AM, Kerri Lemoie wrote:
> I agree with Jim. I also think that an actor label helps to make a
> technology relatable and consume (consumer) is an apt enough term that
> if defined & supported well works if it’s described as “uses
> credential” . It implies that the data is being used however the user
> (consumer) intends to use it and does not add any implications on how
> the data should be used.

Perhaps a point where some of us are talking past others in this
discussion that might clear some things up (at least for me) is:

Will the term 'consumer' be buried in the code, so that only
developers see it, or will it be offered up front to the average
'holder' of a credential/claim (who, I re-emphasize, has been trained
to respond to themselves being 'the consumer' in our society).

If 'consumer' is buried in the code and only seen by developers, I
agree that it doesn't make much difference.

But, if the 'consumer' of a credential is going to be part of the
surface-level UI, then I still think almost anything else would be better.

A current example: the first time I read Kerri's statement above, I
subconsciously misread the phrase "however the user (consumer) intends
to use it" in exactly this way. I thought It meant the 'holder', not
the body that is requiring it later. I had to read it again to get the
entrenched 'consumer' definition out of my mind.

As a developer, who is using the term over and over, I could re-map
this relatively easily. But with a credential 'holder', who might only
occasionally -- or only once or twice, even -- encounter this usage, I
think the confusion would be common.

Steven Rowat