Re: Suggestion: use simple time-flow example as Architecture Block Diagram

On 06/13/2016 12:52 PM, Steven Rowat wrote:
> On 6/13/16 9:19 AM, Dave Longley wrote:

>>> I'd like to suggest a change of the basic architecture 'block diagram'.
>>>
>>> I believe it will be easier to follow, and be more meaningful to a new
>>> reader, if it is presented as a 'flow diagram' that includes time.
>>>
>>> I suggest as an example of what I mean, that steps like the ones below,
>>> for a simple Credential creation and check, could be blocks, possibly
>>> set up left-to- right or top-to-bottom for the flow of time:
>>
>> Here's another take on the diagram. This may not be quite what you're
>> asking for -- but please provide feedback:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1M2cfMOCbXmMhg8Ar2YeCiRhMsJK-hzkCf1L_hJKMOHY/edit?usp=sharing
>>

> Dave,
> Thanks for doing this. I'll note off the top that I woke up last night
> at 3 a.m. and had a vision of what the diagram could look like, with all
> the time-flow steps and taking into account the Entities (real and
> virtual) of: Subject, Holder, Issuer, Repository, and Relaying Party,
> and the Documents (fixed statements) of Claim and Credential.
>
> This took half an hour to take shape in my mind, and then I dictated a
> description of it. I'm committed to making my imagined version of the
> diagram myself (I've done a lot of computer technical drawing in my
> life, but none for several years, and would enjoy the challenge at this
> point.)
>
> About yours: it's nothing like mine at all. :-)
>
> Although technically interesting to have the diagram change and show
> steps in sequence like that, with due respect, I found it just as
> confusing. And I don't know if it's wise to introduce that technology
> anyway for a mission-critical diagram -- it may not work for some people.
>
> If I may, I'll make mine and send a link. Would a Drop-box link work? Or
> is sending as an attachment better?
>
> And I can do any common graphic file format -- png, svg, jpg, pdf, etc.
> If you have a preference let me know.
>
> I'm going to transcribe my last-night's dictation today and probably
> start making the diagram, but I might as well delay sending until I get
> the results of the voting for terminology, which I should use in it.

No personal preferences on delivery, just want it to be accessible to
everyone interested. Feel free to use whatever terminology you want
(don't let poll results slow you down). Better to get the diagram out
there and get feedback.

--
Dave Longley
CTO