Re: Definition of claim

On 06/12/2016 04:32 PM, David Chadwick wrote:
> I believe the latest definition of claim in the architecture
> document
>
> http://w3c.github.io/webpayments-ig/VCTF/architecture/
>
> is fundamentally wrong. It says
>
> Claim A statement made by an entity about a subject. For example:
> "Jane is a doctor."
>
> The example is not one claim, but two claims. It claims that the
> subject is a doctor and that the subject is called Jane. We should
> rewrite this to say

Hmm, not what I was going for... I was trying to avoid talking about
subject identifiers by just using "Jane" as the subject identifier.

> Claim A statement made by an entity about a holder.

Unfortunately, this isn't accurate. Claims are made about subjects,
where the subject is the holder in the vast majority of cases. The
subject may not be the holder (for example, you holding on to a claim
made by a veterinarian about your pet).

We could reword to:

Claim: A statement made by an Issuer about a Subject. For example,
  "A hospital (Issuer) says that Jane (Subject) is
   a doctor (the claim)."

JSON-LD Best Practice: Context Caching
https://manu.sporny.org/2016/json-ld-context-caching/