Re: Data model abstract

On 6/12/16 12:52 PM, David Chadwick wrote:
> I would like to suggest a change to the latest data model document
> http://opencreds.org/specs/source/claims-data-model/
>
> Specifically, the document abstract currently says
>
> A TBD credential is a set of claims made by an entity about an identity.
> A TBD credential may refer to a qualification, achievement, quality, or
> other information about an identity such as a name, government ID, home
> address, or university degree that typically indicates suitability.
>
> The problem I have with this, is that the set of claims are being made
> about an identity, rather than the set of claims actually being the
> identity. In my opinion the above is in direct contradiction to the
> first sentence of the abstract which says 'An identity is a collection
> of attributes about an entity'.
>
> I would therefore like to change the abstract to read
>
> A TBD credential is a set of claims made by one entity (the issuer)
> about another entity (the holder). A TBD credential may refer to a
> qualification, achievement, quality, or other information about the
> entity. A set of credentials forms one of possibly many identities of
> the entity.

Agreed, good change, except one place this change introduces ambiguity
is that now you have two entities; the final two uses of 'entity'
don't specify which one. The reader will likely interpolate the
correct one, but there's risk somebody won't.

This is easily fixed; I believe the abstract should read [my change in
brackets]:

A TBD credential is a set of claims made by one entity (the issuer)
about another entity (the holder). A TBD credential may refer to a
qualification, achievement, quality, or other information about the
[holder] entity. A set of credentials forms one of possibly many
identities of
the [holder] entity.

Steven