Re: Data model abstract

On 06/12/2016 03:52 PM, David Chadwick wrote:
> I would like to suggest a change to the latest data model document
> http://opencreds.org/specs/source/claims-data-model/
>
> Specifically, the document abstract currently says
>
> A TBD credential is a set of claims made by an entity about an
> identity. A TBD credential may refer to a qualification, achievement,
> quality, or other information about an identity such as a name,
> government ID, home address, or university degree that typically
> indicates suitability.
>
> The problem I have with this, is that the set of claims are being
> made about an identity, rather than the set of claims actually being
> the identity. In my opinion the above is in direct contradiction to
> the first sentence of the abstract which says 'An identity is a
> collection of attributes about an entity'.

Thanks for trying to help nail the terminology down, David.

Keep in mind that this language pre-dates the most recent discussions
about terminology that we've been having. We should wait to change the
definition until after the most recent terminology vote completes next
Wednesday... but you're right, it doesn't quite hang together anymore.

> I would therefore like to change the abstract to read
>
> A TBD credential is a set of claims made by one entity (the issuer)
> about another entity (the holder).

Close, but not quite accurate. This is more accurate:

A TBD credential is a set of claims made by one entity (the Issuer)
about a Subject (which is often, but not always, a Holder).

You can view some of the more recent terminology attempts here:

http://w3c.github.io/webpayments-ig/VCTF/architecture/

> A TBD credential may refer to a qualification, achievement, quality,
> or other information about the entity. A set of credentials forms one
> of possibly many identities of the entity.

We'll have to wait on this one until after the vote closes next
Wednesday. One option is to say:

A set of credentials forms one of possibly many /identity profiles/ of
the entity.

JSON-LD Best Practice: Context Caching
https://manu.sporny.org/2016/json-ld-context-caching/