Re: Verifiable Claims Telecon Minutes for 2016-02-09

Is it trusting the entity or the validity of the document and the contents
of that document?

Ie: birth certificate, passport are documents. Yet they are factored to
provide trust about the subject of that document, sometimes only to
specified systems (ie: e-passport, I don't think it can easily be read
outside of customs machinery). The production of those materials are
produced as to make the document tamper evident and/or, so they can be
validated to a level of certainty.

Rather than specifically trusting something about another entity, it's more
about being able to trust the document IMHO.

Yet, banking cards are less considered documents and moreover instruments.
The instrument is issued to the holder, who presents and authenticates for
use of the card to initiate an electronic IOU. Is the transaction ledger
therefore the document subject linked to the (payment) instrument?

Perhaps therefore It's a verifable claims instrument, which in-turn becomes
bonded to a verifable document.

I think therein, I see a differentiation between the concept of the
document and the instrument. The credential instrument is generated and
stored, in association to the production and use of a trusted document.
This can then be presented, and verified for use by a valid recipient.

I would have thought Multiple agents may be involved in verification,
Depends on the nature of the claims structure doesn't it? Assuming it's not
necessarily always singular..?

Eg: Different departments of gov, for instance, are responsible for
different claims that end-up getting bundled for other instruments.

In theory, I would have thought each department would be able to maintain
their own elements, involved in the bundled claim, should they choose to...?

Tim.