Re: Egypt joins Nigeria in using association branded national ID card

Unless the eID requires a PIN or similar to be unlocked?
That is the synergy I am referring to. The ability to have multiple
applications on a single smart card chip.
This was the intention for EMV at design time but has never really been
exploited.

Ultimately authorising a debit from my card is actually just using the card
as a token to prove I am who i say I am and that I have permission to
authorise a debit of an account in my name so it does seem logical that the
same token (the card) is usable for both use cases. However, as I say it
would be better (in my opinion) if this was done in a way that my national
ID was a proxy to the process and worked on any card network.
i.e. The card networks allow a national id verification as a form of auth
instead of a PIN or similar

.