Re: [ba-standard] Considering the Open Badges crypto tech stack

Hi all,

This is a fascinating consideration.

Although I tend to feel graph normalization (I say feel b/c I haven't done
the math myself) is a potentially efficient and secure signing method, I'm
hesitant to subscribe to a method tied to an application-layer protocol
(i.e., RDF seems bound to HTTP).

Earlier, we had discussed a method related to the BitCoin blockchain
algorithm, and this seems more general-purpose.

I'm not proposing an alternative here, just that we not jump the gun on
authentication of badges; perhaps start with authentication as an extension
and then promote what works best to a first-class member, or, provide a
facility for multiple methods.

Me, I'm old-fashioned. I like Diffie-Hellman PKI. It's not the fastest, but
we're not talking about real-time competency provenance via OBI yet, are we?

Also, we have a well-established infrastructure for verifying RSA keys
(follow the instructions in my .sig if you want my pubkey). Not that I'm
saying that's the best method, just that... well...

[image: Inline image 1]

Yeah... that.

I'm not offering a universal solution. Just warning against insisting upon
one.

Jason Lewis
CTO, Yet Analytics, Inc.
410.428.0253 // yetanalytics.com

My GPG key can be found via: gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys
0xc30a0d63c4b43758
Key fingerprint: 2E05 8E7E DAC2 F264 F0C6  23A0 C30A 0D63 C4B4 3758