News Article ZD November 20, 2014 | Will Let's Encrypt threaten commercial certificate authorities?

From: Eric Korb <eric.korb@accreditrust.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 14:47:15 -0500
To: public-credentials@w3.org, public-webpayments@w3.org
I thought this would be interest to our CG's.

http://www.zdnet.com/will-lets-encrypt-threaten-commercial-certificate-authorities-7000036022/#ftag=RSSf468ffe

Lead in:

Everyone's pro-encryption these days, unless they're part of the
surveillance state. But cryptography is hard, and good cryptography tends
to be both hard and expensive. As a result, only a small percentage of
Internet traffic is encrypted. Surveys I've seen (such as this one
<http://www.wired.com/2014/05/sandvine-report/>) disagree on the numbers,
but it's almost always under 10 percent.

Now some big Internet players are launching
<http://www.zdnet.com/eff-mozilla-to-launch-free-one-click-website-encryption-7000035959/>
free certificate authority they call Let's Encrypt
<https://letsencrypt.org/>. Mozilla <https://www.mozilla.org/>, Akamai
<http://www.akamai.com/>, Cisco <http://www.cisco.com/>, the EFF
<https://www.eff.org/> and IdenTrust <https://www.identrustssl.com/> are
the sponsors. Researchers at the University of Michigan are also involved
(i.e. as free labor). They are targeting Q2 2015 for launch.

Eric
*"Trust only credentials that are TrueCred*™ *verified."*

Eric Korb, President/CEO - accreditrust.com
GoogleVoice: 908-248-4252
http://www.linkedin.com/in/erickorb