Re: New JSON-LD digital signature library for Javascript (browsers and node.js)

On 12/08/2014 04:40 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> On 8 December 2014 at 04:31, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com
> <mailto:msporny@digitalbazaar.com>> wrote:
>
> Digital Bazaar has just released a convenience library for creating
> and verifying JSON-LD Signatures in Javascript in the browser and in
>  node.js:
>
> https://github.com/digitalbazaar/jsonld-signatures/
>
> Awesome!
>
> I'm right it only works with RSA keys right now, e.g. not with
> bitcoin ECC?

Yes, PEM encoded RSA keys only at the moment, I think. I think we can
also read in ECDSA keys, but don't know if we support the signature
portion in forge (which is used browser-side to do signatures). No
Bitcoin ECC yet (but would be interested in adding it if there were both
a node.js and browser implementation of signing and verifying Bitcoin
ECC signatures). Do you know of any?

> Slight nit pick:  perhaps the graph signature 2012 URL could be a
> default option?

Well, it's the only option at present, so I guess that makes it the
default. :P

What were you thinking? Happy to change the API to match what you're
thinking about.

> Three things I'd love to see as convenience functions:
>
> 1. Normalize -- Done 2. Signing -- Done 3. Hash content into ID, so
> that blank nodes can easily be replaced with a URI (I'd suggest
> ni:///sha256;<base64urlhash>

We're using your suggestion for ni:/// hashes elsewhere, I don't really
see an issue w/ adding a convenience method for it. Make sure to read
Dave Longley's email on why it may not make sense to use them as
resource IDs (I don't have a strong opinion on the matter).

If you feel strongly about #3, please open a feature request via the
issue tracker ( and be the very first issue in the queue! :P ):

https://github.com/digitalbazaar/jsonld-signatures/issues