RE: Draft Web and Mobile Interest Group Charter

Comments inline. Hopefully the last post by me in this thread!

-----Original Message-----
From: Tobie Langel [mailto:tobie@fb.com]
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2013 10:35 AM
To: SULLIVAN, BRYAN L
Cc: Dominique Hazael-Massieux; jo@linguafranca.org; public-coremob@w3.org
Subject: Re: Draft Web and Mobile Interest Group Charter

On Friday, April 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L wrote:
> So for those that can't join the IG, you are saying "thanks for your efforts, if you want to continue participating send cash, and btw we are taking over your work and shutting your CG down".
>
> Not a good message to send.
We've yet to hear from someone that would like to continue contributing to Coremob but can't join the IG.

I read Jo's proposal as Coremob maturing into an IG, not as an attempt to shut the CG down, steal the group's work or what not.

<bryan> I am in favor of the IG starting; we were in involved in the MWI and it's good to see it being reinvigorated, but hopefully without the more agenda-constraining effects of the W3C group process/organization. Those effects contributed to our refocusing on web platform development efforts outside W3C (e.g. OTMP/WAC, which now continue in GSMA). Now that some of that has been taken up by SysApps (after being constrained from succeeding in DAP), we hope to see W3C becoming a more open organization by building a wider community inside the member-focused groups as well.

I also think that Dominique's contributions were extremely valuable to the group's effort and helped shape our deliverables into something palatable and impactful. Moving to an IG helps keeping him onboard and, that in itself, is valuable enough for me (especially given I'm yet to understand which key contributor we'd loose if we move to an IG).

<bryan> Dom is certainly a valuable contributor, as were many in the CoreMob 2012 effort. The brevity of CoreMob's life though is contributing to the illusion that few "key contributors" will be lost; it didn't really have time to be successfully marketed and to gain a really broad base of contributors. One year is not enough to build that base, and I am concerned that moving it into a member-only IG will chill its future growth. I value the contributions in any role of anyone that is willing to volunteer their time/expertise to CoreMob, regardless of whether they can become a W3C member. Those contributors (of whom there could have been many) are who I fear will be lost.

--tobie