Re: Ringmark is now open source

On Apr 5, 2012, at 08:37 , <claudio.riva@nokia.com> <claudio.riva@nokia.com> wrote:
> I agree with Marcos and this is was my first comment when I saw the
> capabilities required to be part of Ring-0. The bar seems to be too high
> and ignores the fact the majority of mobile users have handsets below
> Ring-0. Of course, we can ignore them but this won't help the web
> development community.

Can you give me a list of 5-10 standards-related issues that developers face today when targeting sub-current-ring-0 devices? If those problems don't exist, why are we even talking about them? Conversely, if they do exist why doesn't Nokia support reopening the MWBP WG? It was shut down due to lack of interest...

Targeting things at the current level doesn't mean that phones that can't reach that aren't real phones, or that browsers that can't attain that aren't on the mobile Web. But it does help us address real-world problems that we have, today.

> Let's take a framework like Jquery Mobile, it does a great job in
> supporting the graceful degradation of the experience (but not
> functionality) from A-grade browser to C-graded browsers. I can run the
> same web app on iPhone and Opera Mini, and while the experience is
> different (no shadows, no animations, no ajax navigation) it's still
> usable.

You're making a really, really good argument that this is a solved problem. Why would we be solving a solved problem? Standards sure are a lot of spiffy boisterous fun, but not to the point where we ought to do them just because we can.