Re: Ringmark is now open source

Hello,

I agree with Marcos and this is was my first comment when I saw the
capabilities required to be part of Ring-0. The bar seems to be too high
and ignores the fact the majority of mobile users have handsets below
Ring-0. Of course, we can ignore them but this won't help the web
development community.

Ring-0 should contain the bare minimum features for creating non-trivial
web apps. I can create useful web apps without video and CSS3 Transitions,
but not without web storage, application cache, json, media queries etc.
Even 2D canvas and selected CSS3 capabilities could be easily supported by
low-end devices, so the bar for the ring-0 doesn't need to be lowered that
much.

Let's take a framework like Jquery Mobile, it does a great job in
supporting the graceful degradation of the experience (but not
functionality) from A-grade browser to C-graded browsers. I can run the
same web app on iPhone and Opera Mini, and while the experience is
different (no shadows, no animations, no ajax navigation) it's still
usable. So, I agree with Marcos that also C-graded browsers (like Opera
Mini, Nokia Browser, UC Browser etc) are a legitimate target for mobile
web apps.

I think for the benefit of the web developers community we should set the
level-0 requirements slightly lower than where it is today

claudio