Re: Misunderstandings about the character of the techniques

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM, <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Kerstin Probiesch
> Email: k.probiesch@googlemail.com
> Affiliation:
> Document: QR
> Item Number: (none selected)
> Part of Item:
> Comment Type: general comment
> Summary of Issue: Misunderstandings about the character of the techniques
> I feel that there are ongoing misunderstandings about the character of the
> sufficient techniques. As long as one will read the techniques document
> from the beginning it should be clear enough. But we cannot "force" people
> to read the document in whole. If it is not possible to change the wording
> of "how to meet" one solution might be: adding a note before every single
> block of techniques.
>
> Proposed Change:
> Adding a note for every block of techniques. Example:
>
> Sufficient Techniques for 1.1.1 - Non-text Content
>
> The "sufficient techniques" listed below are considered sufficient to meet
> the success criteria; however, it is not necessary to use these particular
> techniques.
>
> Sufficient Techniques for 1.2.1 - Audio-only and Video-only (Prerecorded
>
> The "sufficient techniques" listed below are considered sufficient to meet
> the success criteria; however, it is not necessary to use these particular
> techniques.
>
> (Even if the document will not look very "nice" after including these
> notes, it will hopefully improve a better understanding of the character of
> the techniques)
>

> ================================
The Working Group agrees with your comment and suggestion.   But we went
further and also put a comment on each item in the Understanding WCAG 2.0
document

The following text will replace the text before each grouping of techniques
in the "Understanding WCAG 2.0" document:

"Each numbered item in this section represents a technique or combination
of techniques that the WCAG Working Group deems sufficient for meeting this
Success Criterion. However, it is not necessary to use these particular
techniques. Any techniques used only satisfy the Success Criterion if all
of the WCAG 2.0 conformance requirements have been met."

And the following link will be inserted before each grouping of techniques
in the "How to Meet" document.

they meet the success criterion.</a>

which links to the section which says

About the Techniques
Note that all techniques are informative - you don't have to follow them.
The "sufficient techniques" listed below are considered sufficient to meet
the success criteria; however, it is not necessary to use these particular
techniques. Anyone can submit new techniques at any time. If techniques are
used other than those listed by the Working Group, then some other method
for establishing the technique's ability to meet the success criteria would
be needed.

In addition to the 'sufficient techniques', there are also advisory
techniques that go beyond WCAG 2.0's requirements. Authors are encouraged
to apply all techniques that they are able to, including the advisory
techniques, in order to best address the needs of the widest possible range
of users.

Note that even content that conforms at the highest level (AAA) will not be
accessible to individuals with all types, degrees, or combinations of
disability, particularly in the cognitive language and learning areas.
Authors are encouraged to seek relevant advice about current best practice
to ensure that Web content is accessible, as far as possible, to this
community.