Re: Clarification of duration of flashing or flickering (Success Criteria 2.3.1)

Hi Phill

    For hardware guidelines - an upper limit is made.    For software
guidelines it was omitted because there is no reason in software to
blink something above 30 hz because no one can see it.     The only
thing would be subliminal messages and that would require a frame rate
of 160 frames per second and it would be clearly visible -- so it
wouldn’t be subliminal.    So there would be no reason to flash
something intentionally in software at that frequency.     Frame
flicker would not meet the intensity provision.   The frames would
have to differ significantly back and forth over a large enough area
with enough luminosity difference.

For hardware you can get flicker.   And we are forced to set the upper
limit at 50 hz because of line frequencies in Europe -- but that is
actually a bad frequency (anything above 3 and below about 75hz is not
good).    So no upper limit is set for software because there is not a
need for one, and  it would be set different than hardware which could
be very confusing.

Your suggestion for  "a clearer discussion between flicker frequency
that the developer has no control over verses the flash rate during
that one second period ".      Sounds like a good idea.  If you can
send more about what you are thinking of here it would be helpful.
You can do on-list or off.

Thanks

NOTE:  These are quick feedback notes from me personally to advance
the discussion on the IG.   Responses from the working group itself
will come more slowly as the topics sent to public comment are logged
and addressed in turn by the group.

Thanks Phill

Gregg
Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.