Re: apparent contradiction

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your comment.

You are correct that a link is a user interface component. However, Success
Criterion 3.2.2 applies only to changes of context that result from a change to
the setting of a user interface component and Understanding Success Criterion
3.2.2 [1] makes a distinction between activating a user interface component and
changing it's setting as follows:

[snip]

Note: This Success Criterion covers changes in context due to changing the
setting of a control. Clicking on links or tabs in a tab control is activating
the control, not changing the setting of that control.

[end snip]

We do not feel that there is a contradiction in the current documentation.

Note, however, that opening a new window without warning the user would be a a
failure under 3.2.5. Refer to F22: Failure of Success Criterion 3.2.5 due to
opening windows that are not requested by the user [2].

Hope that helps,

-Ben

[1]
<http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/consistent-behavior-unpredictable-change.html>