Re: Alt tags, Title Tags, and 4.1.2

Chris Reeve wrote:
> I have a document with an image and an alt tag. See example 2c

I believe you meant to say:  I have a document with an input element
with a type attribute of "image" and with an alt attribute present.

> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H91
>
> Is the title field mandatory as suggested in 2d, 2e, or do I pass with
> example 2c?

The table nearer the top of the page says alt attribute or title
attribute, so I would say that neither was mandatory from a WCAG
standard, but at least one must be present and not empty.

The underlying problem here is that DTDs don't allow you to make the set
of required attributes for an element depend on the value of one of its
attributes, so, because there are types of input element that naturally
provide appropriate name text, input cannot make alt mandatory in the DTD.

(Note there basically two types of tag in HTML: opening and closing.
img, a, div, etc. are types of element.  type, name, alt, etc. are types
of attribute.  image is an attribtue value.)

Some of the crossposting may fail.  Cross posting meiling lists is not a
good idea.

--
David Woolley