Re: SC 3.2.5 vs. SC 2.2.4 and G75 and G76

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Sailesh Panchang
<sailesh.panchang@deque.com> wrote:
> Loretta,
>
> I beg to differ with the WG on this issue.
> A link that opens  up a presentation in a media player does cause a change
> in context but is a user initiated request (like the ones I stated in my
> email). Such links or UI elements will require advisory text like "launches
> in new window in media player" or the like. This link for instance cannot be
> turned  off as required by the "or" clause  of 3.2.5 because the content
> requires a player to display it. As the SC suggests, should the link be
> disabled or hidden if the user prefers not to view content in a media
> player?Perhaps the content and the player are fully accessible and no
> alternative rendering is available.
> User initiated change in context cannot cause an interruption because the
> user expects something to happen by activating an UI element. And advisory
> text would be a sufficient technique for this.
> Auto updating / refreshing content that is not user initiated is primarily
> an interruption which may also cause a change in context. Like a pop-up or
> the start  of a Flash presentation suddenly.
> (The techniques doc too refers to change in context caused by auto updating
> content while discussing G76).
> I would find 3.2.5 acceptable if it read:
> "Changes of context  are initiated only by user request."
> Causing a change in context  without prior notification when a UI element is
> activated by user is a failure of 3.2.5.
>
> I still think that G75 and G76 are no different.
> Sailesh Panchang
> Accessibility Services Manager (Web and Software)
> Deque Systems Inc. (www.deque.com)
> 11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite #140,
> Reston VA 20191
> Phone: 703-225-0380 (ext 105)

The working group believes these are different.  An interruption
usually means that the user is returned to their original position
after the interruption ends.  A change of context generally would not.
So 2.2.4 wouldn't necessarily cover 3.2.5.  And 3.2.5 doesn't cover
2.2.4 because interruptions can take the form of a dialog box or other
event that doesn't necessarily change the context.

We do agree that these are very similar - and a single success
criterion might be constructed that would cover both.  But it is too
late in the process now to do this. And it would not change the
substance of the guidelines.